"Aligning Strategic Goals with Exemplary Performance"
A competency driven succession planning process is where the competency models are reviewed annually and updated to include forward-looking skills and experience in the profiles. The competency models/profiles must be living documents refreshed as necessary to take changes in strategy or market conditions into consideration. These competency models/profiles can then be used for grading succession candidates in an objective manner.
The overall Succession Planning process is designed to address a series of issues in a logical and systematic manner. In general, the approach is to create a thought process by addressing key business issues:
- Identify Key Positions – a key position is defined as one that exerts critical influence on organizational activities – operationally, strategically, or both.
- Assess High Potentials – assessing high potentials is the means by which we assess individual potential to make the best use of the organization’s existing human resource assets.
- Create Developmental Plans for High Potentials – the developmental plan will bridge the gap between present ability and future requirements for key positions. The focus is on activities, functions, responsibilities, tasks and other related performance objectives.
- Create Bench Strength Plan – the bench strength plan will answer: What positions will the organization have the greatest recruiting and developmental needs for (shortfalls) in the upcoming 0 – 2 or 0 – 5 years? Does the organization have back-ups identified for key positions? If not, what is the sourcing/staffing strategy?
- Measure Organization Effectiveness – identifies if the organization is best positioned to gain alignment by effectively communicating the business priorities, and making decisions as close to the customer as possible.
- Create Communication Plan – defines the actions to be taken to enhance employee communication in response to the business and employee/organization issues identified within the organization.
- Create Executive Summary – the executive summary will be created following the completion of all the other steps and will highlight the key issues for the organization.
Several of our clients engaged GOAL to design, develop, and implement a competency based succession planning process as defined above.
The competency based succession planning process resulted in each organization having stronger bench strength, higher performance, and accelerated development. The process created and a talent driven culture.
Sign Up to Receive a FREE PDF on Succession Planning